Last of Sri Lanka’s Burgher Ladies | Thuppahi's Blog
KeanThere are times when we must sink to the bottom of
our misery to understand truth,
just as we must descend to the bottom of a well to
see the stars in broad daylight.
- Vaclav HavelIf Iraq were to descend into chaos, the Europeans would
feel the effects just as much as we would.
- Brent ScowcroftAmbition aspires to descend.
- Pierre CorneilleMen have to descend from their pedestal and learn how
to be more broadminded and spiritual.
- Indra DeviPolitics calls for robust debate and criticism,
but this should never descend to personal and demeaning slurs.
- Kim BeazleyI couldn't claim that I have never felt the urge to explore evil,
but when you descend into hell you have to be very careful.
- Kathleen RaineLiberty is a great celestial Goddess,
strong, beneficent, and austere, and she can never
descend upon a nation by the shouting of crowds,
nor by arguments of unbridled passion,
nor by the hatred of class against class.
- Annie BesantI explained I wanted to descend as quickly as possible
to camp IV in order to warm myself and gather a supply
of hot drink and oxygen in the event I might need to
go back up the mountain to assist descending climbers.
- Anatoli BoukreevJust as we descend into our consciences to judge of
actions which our minds can not weigh,
can we not also search in ourselves for the feeling
which gives birth to forms of thought,
always vague and cloudy?
- Alfred de VignyI see no faults in the Church, and therefore let me
be resurrected with the Saints,
whether I ascend to heaven or descend to hell,
or go to any other place.
And if we go to hell, we will turn the devils out of
doors and make a heaven of it.
- Joseph Smith, Jr.Concerned that others were not coming onto the summit
and because I had no radio link to those below me,
I began to wonder if there were difficulties down the mountain.
I made the decision to descend.
- Anatoli BoukreevIt is still not enough for language to have clarity and content...
it must also have a goal and an imperative.
Otherwise from language we descend to chatter,
from chatter to babble and from babble to confusion.
- Rene DaumalModern man must descend the spiral of his own absurdity to the lowest point;
only then can he look beyond it.
It is obviously impossible to get around it,
jump over it, or simply avoid it.
- Vaclav HavelA farmer travelling with his load Picked up a horseshoe on the road,
And nailed if fast to his barn door,
That luck might down upon him pour; That every blessing
known in life Might crown his homestead and his wife,
And never any kind of harm Descend upon his growing farm.
- James Thomas FieldsOur compassion and acts of selflessness
take us to the deeper truths.
- AmmaOpportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves
come when life seems most challenging.
- Joseph CampbellI seek a deeper truth, but I don't think I have to
go to a building designated for worship to find it.
- Ted LangeHumor brings insight and tolerance.
Irony brings a deeper and less friendly understanding.
- Agnes RepplierWhile the laughter of joy is in
full harmony with our deeper life,
the laughter of amusement
should be kept apart from it.
The danger is too great of thus learning
to look at solemn things in a spirit of mockery,
and to seek in them opportunities for exercising wit.
- Lewis CarrollWomen don't want to hear what you think.
Women want to hear what they think -
in a deeper voice.
- Bill CosbyThe loftier the building, the deeper must the foundation be laid.
- Thomas KempisBy reading the scriptures I am so renewed that all
nature seems renewed around me and with me.
The sky seems to be a pure, a cooler blue,
the trees a deeper green.
The whole world is charged with the glory of God and
I feel fire and music under my feet.
- Thomas MertonFew tragedies can be more extensive than the stunting of life,
few injustices deeper than the denial of an opportunity
to strive or even to hope,
by a limit imposed from without, but falsely identified as lying within.
- Stephen Jay GouldI, with a deeper instinct,
choose a man who compels my strength,
who makes enormous demands on me,
who does not doubt my courage or my toughness,
who does not believe me naive or innocent,
who has the courage to treat me like a woman.
- Anais NinHowever, I think the major opposition to ecology has
deeper roots than mere economics;
ecology threatens widely held values so fundamental
that they must be called religious.
- Garrett HardinIf you be pungent, be brief; for it is with words as with sunbeams -
the more they are condensed the deeper they burn.
- John DrydenIn the ocean of baseness, the deeper we get,
the easier the sinking.
- James Russell LowellSince September 11, 2001, many in this nation and this
Congress have a deeper appreciation for the importance
of the sacrifices made by our law enforcement officers.
- Jerry CostelloString theory is an attempt at a deeper description
of nature by thinking of an elementary particle not
as a little point but as a little loop of vibrating string.
- Edward WittenPouring forth its seas everywhere, then,
the ocean envelops the earth and fills its deeper chasms.
- Nicolaus CopernicusIf the woman in my life, the one that I felt I loved enough to want to marry,
loved my children, I'd know then that her love for
me was deeper than I could hope for.
- James MacArthurProgress is measured by richness and intensity of experience -
by a wider and deeper apprehension of the significance
and scope of human existence.
- Herbert ReadYou've got to push yourself harder.
You've got to start looking for pictures nobody else could take.
You've got to take the tools you have and probe deeper.
- William Albert AllardOne truth is the swing of the sentence,
the beat and poise, but down deeper it's the integrity
of the writer as he matches with the language.
- Don DeLilloA blow with a word strikes deeper than a blow with a sword.
- Robert BurtonFor a deeper interest in the Moon than I ever felt before.
- Warren De la RuePrejudices in disfavor of a person fix deeper,
and are much more difficult to be removed,
than prejudices in favor.
- Samuel RichardsonPastoral theology and care helps people look deeper
at the intersection between their inherited religious
traditions and their current life situations.
- Larry GrahamEvery age yearns for a more beautiful world.
The deeper the desperation and the depression about the confusing present,
the more intense that yearning.
- Johan HuizingaI must go deeper and even stronger into my treasure
mine and stint nothing of time,
toil, or torture.
- Zane GreyYou can't raise the standard of women's morals by raising their pay envelope.
It lies deeper than that.
- Billy SundayAnd no book gives a deeper insight into the inner life of the Negro,
his struggles and his aspirations, than,
The Souls of Black Folk.
- Ray Stannard BakerTrue character arises from a deeper well than religion.
The specific problem is: repetition, organisation, coherence
When stress got to be too much for TED Fellow Sangu Delle, he had to confront his own deep prejudice: that men shouldn’t take care of their mental health. In a personal talk, Delle shares how he learned to handle anxiety in a society that’s uncomfortable with emotions. As he says: “Being honest about how we feel doesn’t make us weak — it makes us human.”
In public worship we weekly confess our manifold sins and wickedness in general terms, that is what the prayer of confession we do in unison is all about. But when we examine our conscience in the privacy of our own company, generalities serve no useful purpose. We must identify our own sins; search our hearts and minds and conscience to uncover those secret faults which perhaps no other mortal eye can penetrate. Our half-hidden pride, our self-centeredness, our frequent resistance to the guidance of the Holy Spirit, our broken promises and resolutions, our hurried half-hearted prayers, our greed for material gain, our lack of charity, our unfriendliness, our desire to get our own way, our malicious prejudices, our unwillingness to forgive. Our confession must be thorough. Nothing must be left out, nothing overlooked.